ISELDA Policy Briefs


Recent Submissions

Now showing 1 - 5 of 10
  • Item
    Socio-Economic Land Data and Land Improvement Strategy for Uganda
    (2022) Kasirye, Ibrahim
    At least 75% of Ugandans resident in rural areas depend on agriculture and access to land is major determinant of the sustainability of their livelihoods. Land ownership in Uganda is characterized by overlapping land rights i.e., the recognition of private ownership as well as customary ownership of the same land parcel. A challenge faced by the land sector in Uganda is that most of the land in the country is not registered. Estimates indicate that only about 27% of land in Uganda is registered partly due to the cost of acquiring secure tenure documentation.
  • Item
    Socio-Economic Land Data Strategy in Namibia
    (2022-04) Kaulihowa, Teresia
    Namibia lacks a comprehensive and harmonised socio-economic land database. The aim of this policy note is to provide a briefing on the collation of the socio economic land data in Namibia. Namibia’s land size is 824 000km2 , and it is characterised by a three-tenure system of which 23%, 35% and 42% are owned by the government, communal and commercial (agricultural) land respectively. The 2018 statistics indicates that commercial land has a total of 12 382 farmers with a land size of 39.7 million hectares. Majority of commercial land is privately owned (86%), whereas government owns the remaining 14%. The privately owned commercial land consists of the previously disadvantaged group (16%) as well as the previous advantaged group1 (70%). It is important to note that disparities still exist in terms of land ownership in Namibia. To address land redistribution and equitable distribution of land, the Ministry of Land Reform facilitated the enactment of eight Acts of Parliament and developed two national policies i.e. the National Resettlement Policy and National Land Policy. The Land Reform Settlement Programme currently offers 99-year lease agreement. Beginning from 1990 up until 2018, the national resettlement programme facilitated the acquisition of 3 million hectares of land through the willing buyer willing seller policy. About 54% of the acquired commercial farms were financed through the National Affirmative Action Loan Scheme of the AgriBank. The remaining 46% were financed privately on commercial interest rate. With regards to gender orientation, 10 % of farmland were acquired by females while the male category obtained 60% through the affirmative loan scheme. This is despite the fact that prior to independence, women were virtually excluded from owning land. It is therefore evident that commercial land re-distribution remains highly skewed towards the male category. With regards to the availability and accessibility of socio-economic land data, there is no one source-database primarily for socio-economic land data in Namibia. The Namibia Statistics Agency (NSA) reports only few variables mainly from national census and surveys whereas the Ministry of Land Reform manages the Land resettlement data and the N-class2 database. Other socio-economic land statistics remains scattered around various ministries (Ministry of Agriculture, Water and Forestry; Ministry of Urban and Rural Development; Ministry of Environment and Tourism; Ministry of Mines and Energy, etc), government agencies (AgriBank) and NGOs (NACSO). Of concern is the fact that there is no harmonised socio-economic land data between the various entities, particularly between those that store data for administrative use and those that keep for statistical use. In ensuring that there is easy access and dissemination of socio-economic land data in Namibia, there is need to develop a harmonised and centralised national socio-economic land database. Inherent attributes such as affirmative action and previously disadvantaged should be incorporated in such a database to enhance proper planning, policy design and statistical use. To address issues of socio-economic land data, there is a need for policy commitment towards an integrated or comprehensive approach. This policy note recommends an establishment of a Help Desk that will serve as a host for a comprehensive and harmonised socio-economic land database for Namibia.
  • Item
    Management of Socio-Economic Data on Land in Mali
    (2022-04) Sanogo, Abdrahamane
    Land management in Africa presents enormous challenges, both in terms of access to this important asset for life and in terms of its governance. These unsolved difficulties are still observable in both urban and rural areas. Despite its very large area (1,241,238 km2), and its large reserves of arable land, Mali faces a massive exodus towards urban centers, more specifically Bamako the capital city. This poses the serious problem of housing, and of food security. Thus, there is a rush on the land, both in urban and peri-urban areas, and in rural areas. Mali’s development is largely dependent on the rural and the mining sector. The related problems are intimately linked to land and its management. It is aware of this situation that NEPAD wanted first to make an inventory of the required socio-economic data, then to consider the assistance which can be brought for a more adequate management. To this end, the AERC/CREA was instructed by NEPAD to make an inventory of socio-economic land data in each of the selected pilot countries, including Mali, and to provide insights for improving their management so as to facilitate their use and access by researchers, decision-makers and the public. It must be recognized that in Mali, land data management has always been difficult, as the organizations in charge of it have always been faced with an insufficiency of the required resources - human, material and financial. Also, it is worth highlighting the complexity of the data to be managed, and the many disputes they have always presented. This policy note reports the salient results and policy implications of this study. These results come from interviews with key stakeholders in land management and governance in Mali, and from a documentary review. To lead an efficient and rational management of the land sector, with a view to reducing the interminable conflicts and disputes, the Ministry of State property and Land Affairs was created, and its branches strengthened and empowered. The Ministry deals with the necessary measures to solve land speculation throughout the national territory. Planning tools designed, but not used enough, did not solve the land problem. The development of a national spatial planning scheme provided for in the newly adopted National Territorial Planning Policy (PNAT) will take charge of the distribution of activities and development roles to achieve the desired economic balance. The State property and Land Reform Secretariat was created by Decree No. 2016- 0177/PM-RM of March 25, 2016. Its fundamental mission is to work towards the creation of a state property and land database. Thus, a new unique national parcel/ plot identifier has been introduced for rational management of land throughout the territory. Each urban or rural parcel/plot will have its national cadastral identification number (NINACAD)
  • Item
    Inventory of Socio Economic Land Data in Madagascar
    (2022-04) RAZAKAMANANA, Marilys
    Land governance is needed to develop agriculture, protect environment, and ensure peace and security. It can improve the quality of life and well-being of the population. Finding concrete evidence upon which to base land policy requires the availability of accurate and up to date data and information on land. Therefore, an inventory of socio-economic land data has been carried out and strategies have been developed. Following stakeholders’ interviews and literature review on land in Madagascar, the aim is to inform decision-makers on policy measures that can improve these data and their accessibility. Socio economic data exist but are very scattered and are not updated. Most of them are stored on paper. Moreover, archiving is not compliant with standards. While statistics can be accessed, the data bases are inaccessible. Although the Observatory of Land (OATF) should ensure the management of most of socio-economic land data, conditions of accessibility depend rather on donors who finance the studies and surveys. Because of these problems, policy measures should consist of improving the quality of socio-economic land data and facilitating their accessibility.
  • Item
    Policy Note on Socio Economic Land Data Management in Ghana
    (2022-04) Novignon, Jacob
    The ISELDA project sought to assess the nature and availability of socio economic land data in Ghana. The specific objectives of the study were to: identify key stakeholders in land and socio-economic land data, assess data availability and provide suggestions for improving socio-economic land data in Ghana. To achieve these objectives, we first conducted a desk review to identify what kind of data were available and their accessibility. We also identified and engaged with various stakeholders in land administration in Ghana. Seven (7) key stakeholders were identified. In terms of data availability, we found that, Ghana’s statistical service hosts a majority of the countries national level socio-economic data online and provides easy access to most of these datasets. The summary statistics presented focused mostly on agricultural land and showed some interesting variations across gender and location of the household in terms of land ownership and use. We recommend that government expand available socio-economic data to cover non-agricultural land ownership and use. Also, there is need to create a land help desk where socio-economic land data from all stakeholders can be managed for easy access. This will be helpful for policy decisions and implementations.